I’m just in the process of going through the proofs of my new book which should be out in the next few months. Each chapter is based on a question in the philosophy of sport and contains sub-questions and independent study questions, plus there are chapters of questions addressed to some key figures in the area. So lots of questions… and a few answers! The book is published by Bloomsbury and should be out in late Spring.
Here’s the chapter list:
- What is the philosophy of sport?
Interview with Warren Fraleigh
- What is sport?
- Can cheaters ever win?
Interview with Jim Parry
Sport, knowledge and truth
- Are there different types of sporting knowledge?
- How can philosophy underpin research in sport?
- Is the referee always right?
- How much is too much technology in sport?
Interview with R. Scott Kretchmar
Interview with Mike McNamee
Sport, body and mind
- Is the body just another sporting tool?
- Is sporting success ‘mind over matter’?
- Is it right to separate sport according to sex?
- Does sport discriminate against transsexual and transgender athletes?
- Is elite disability sport an oxymoron?
Interview with Pam Sailors
Interview with Takayuki Hata
Sport and the good life
- What is the value of sport?
- Is utopia a world full of games?
- What is the value of dangerous sport?
- Are Olympic values worth aspiring to?
Interview with Randolf Feezell
Interview with Heather Reid
Sport, art and aesthetics
- Is sport art?
- Does beauty matter in sport?
- Is it better to be a purist or partisan when watching sport?
Interview with Stephen Mumford
Interview with Graham McFee
Ethical questions in sport
- What is fair play in sport?
- Is sport a moral educator?
- Is competition morally acceptable?
- Is gamesmanship just another skill in sport?
- What is wrong with doping in sport?
- Do elite athletes deserve hero status?
- Is it wrong to be patriotic in sport?
- Can you respect someone you’re trying to beat?
- Can violent sports be ethical?
- Should sport be used as a political tool?
- Does commercialism ruin sport?
Interview with Sigmund Loland
Interview with Angela Schneider